Tuesday, June 13, 2017

REMATCH IN CD2? Matt Heinz Announces New Effort To Defeat Rep. McSally In #CD2 (READ)

Tucson physician Matt Heinz announced today that he will try again to unseat Rep. Martha McSally (R-CD2). He lost to her by a margin of 54% to 46% last year.

Of course, McSally herself took two tries to gain the hotly-contested, "swing" district in southern Arizona. The incumbent that she defeated in 2014 - Ron Barber - is now leading an effort to draft Ann Kirkpatrick (another former Representative) to lead the Democratic charge next year.

Heinz raised (and spent) nearly $1.6M in the 2016 campaign. McSally currently has $631,000 stashed in the bank for the 2018 campaign. And, of course, it is almost guaranteed that outside groups will once again spend heavily on both sides in this toss-up district.

Here is Heinz's announcement email:


Mitch – first, I wanted to say thank you.
Last year, your support made it possible for me to take on Martha McSally. Even though we didn't get the outcome we had hoped for, I was honored to have you by my side every step of the way.
Which is why I wanted you to be the first to know that I’m running again to defeat Martha McSally in 2018.
But I can’t do this without you. We need to show Martha McSally that we’re in it to win, so I’m hoping we can get 100 founding members to join my campaign in the next 24 hours.
Since the election, Martha McSally’s approval rating has dropped significantly. 53% of her constituents disapprove of the job she is doing. In the latest head-to-head polling, I’m beating her 48% to 44%.
This race is winnable in 2018, but only if I have the same support and buy-in from you that I did last year. With a grassroots movement behind me, I’m more confident than ever that we can turn the tide next year.
Let’s do this together. Please become a founding member of my 2018 campaign by contributing any amount now. >>
More soon…
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Matt Heinz

We welcome your comments about this post. Or, if you have something unrelated on your mind, please e-mail to info-at-arizonaspolitics-dot-com or call 602-799-7025. Thanks.

No comments: