Tuesday, March 25, 2014

BREAKING: Hours After Judge's Rebuke, Sheriff Arpaio Calls Charges Of Racial Profiling "Unfounded", Announces He Will Run In 2016

The charges of racial profiling are "unfounded."  That is what Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio told his supporters this morning, hours after he had been summoned to U.S. District Court Judge G. Murray Snow, to be admonished for mischaracterizing the Court's orders.

Arpaio repeated his "unfounded" protestation in an email announcing that he would be running for re-election in 2016 - rather than running for Governor or stepping down.  (The entire email is reproduced here, below the jump.)

At the bottom of the email - after vowing to fight "Barack Obama's political machine, Hollywood leftists and their millions as well as a hostile local and national media..." - Arpaio also warns his fellow Patriots to not give money to any of the "fraudulent groups" that either pretend to be him or to support his campaigns.  Arizona's Politics has written about some of those groups in the past, including "Defend Sheriff Joe", run by current Corporation Commission candidate Vernon Parker.

However, the sentence about opponents using "their massive show of force" to level "Rampant, UNFOUNDED charges of racism and racial profiling in my office" is most surprising given yesterday's federal court hearing. ("U.S. judge rebukes top aide of Arpaio")  Judge Snow, who after a 2012 trial, found last year that the MCSO had in fact engaged in racial profiling, summoned Arpaio and his Chief Deputy Jerry Sheridan after the pair had "undermined" his subsequent order for a court monitor during training sessions with MCSO deputies.

Arpaio was silent during the hearing, Sheridan acknowledged to the Court that he had "mischaracterized" the order and that he was "ashamed."

Today's email with the Sheriff's signature - whether written directly by him or not - is certain to add to the Court's concerns about the MCSO's commitment to follow the Court's directives.

(The Arpaio e-mail is below the jump.  Please click "Read More", below.)

Patriot,

I have made one of the most important decisions of my life. And I want you to be the first to know.

After much prayer and discussion with my wife Ava and many close friends and advisors, I have decided that I will once again run for Sheriff -- but only if I have your continued support.

Do I have your support?

If I do, I'm asking you to click here right now and sign your "I STAND WITH JOE" re-election support pledge.

Without your pledge and support I won't be able win.

I have to tell you Patriot -- this was a tough decision.

You see, this will certainly not be an easy election. My opponents are already lined up against me and will cross any line to see me defeated. In fact, we've seen them use their massive show of force to do the following:

>>>> The Obama Justice department has been rolling out lawsuit after lawsuit to take me down.

>>>> The Democrats drained my campaign resources last spring with a costly re-call election smear campaign that came dangerously close to defeating me, but with your support we prevailed.

>>>> Rampant, UNFOUNDED charges of racism and racial profiling in my office.

>>>> Al Sharpton, George Lopez, Linda Ronstadt and a gaggle of other celebrity lefties are using their Hollywood megaphone to slander my name and reputation.

>>>> A hostile national and local press corps that actually gets the weather right more than anything they report about me.
 

Patriot, we've seen what they will do to take me down, and I have no doubt that this is going to be the toughest re-election battle of my career. And it's why I need to ensure I have your continued support.

But as of now, I don't know if I still have your support.

That's why I'm asking you to put down what you are doing right now -- click here - and let me know if I still have your support by signing your personalized "I STAND WITH JOE" reelection support pledge immediately.

I also need your financial support. Fighting the recall battle last year severely drained my campaign account.

Furthermore, going up against Barack Obama's political machine, Hollywood leftists and their millions as well as a hostile local and national media is extremely expensive.

I estimate I'll have to raise at least 4 million dollars to have a fighting chance.

That's where you come in. In addition to your "I STAND WITH JOE" re-election pledge, I need you to chip in your most generous contribution.

For some of you maybe $5 is all you can afford. But for others $500 or even $1000 is a sacrificial gift you are willing to make.

Whether its $5, $25 or even $250... I pledge to you that I will faithfully use your contribution to win reelection and continue to enforce the law as I have always done.

I hope I can count on you to stand with me and show your support today.

Sincerely,



Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Maricopa County, Arizona

P.S. You have probably received emails or letters from other organizations that either pretend to be me or support me and my campaign. Please understand these are fraudulent groups and that you should never give money to any other group to support my reelection unless it comes directly from me and is paid for by "Elect Sheriff Joe Arpaio." We are taking steps to bring these crooks to justice and have already shut down numerous efforts. Thank you!

Paid for by Elect Sheriff Joe Arpaio

We welcome your comments about this post. Or, if you have something unrelated on your mind, please e-mail to info-at-arizonaspolitics-dot-com or call 602-799-7025. Thanks.

No comments: